Saturday, July 25, 2009

Quote and Inspirations from books

I have this tendency to go up to the 4th floor of MSU's library and get almost obsessed with the photo books up there. I look through, intending on only grabbing 2 or 3 and end up coming out with 8-10 of them. I love books with great pictures/photos and I feel like if I don't check out that book right then, it might get forgotten or lost in the stacks so the next time I am up there I would just glance over it. And miss all those great images. So...when I check out books, I try to remember what I like about the good ones. In my Documentary Photography class we had to copy images and write about the books, which helped. But now, I read through these books and write down amazing quotes or inspiration or just the title if the whole thing is good. Here is a link to two good books that everyone should check out and two quotes from books that connected to me when I read them:
A Year of Mornings, 3191 Miles Apart
The Greek File: Images from a Mythic Land

And the quote from Photo-log book - a collaboration of photos from the website plus a few articles on photography blogs and such:

"People exist who feel the way I feel. Perhaps not here, but somewhere. Somewhere out there is someone who thinks the way I think, and sees the way I see - if not identically, at least enough to be interested in, and interesting to, me. People exist who might want to talk to me. People exist who wouldn't glaze over when they look at my photos, the ones I take just for me. They're just for me, but I would be happy to share them."
-Digital Commentaries by Nick Currie from the Photo-log book

And the quote that very much sums up how I felt after my visit Greece:
"The light of Greece opened my eyes, penetrated my pores, expanded my whole being." Henry Miller from the Colossus of Naroussi

1 comment: